Thursday, May 04, 2006

healthcare service in macedonia

I have been told (even by Macedonian) that you do not want to get sick in Macedonia because the quality of the healthcare service is very low. Well, but I can not control not getting sick by making efforts of not to.... So, I had gotten experience it last week at the Skopje Hospital, the highest medical authority in Macedonia.
I had been suffering with cough for more than a week and it did not seem getting any better, so, I decided to go to see a doctor to make sure it is not infectious diseases like tuberculosis. Well, seeing a doctor at the public hospital in Macedonia was quite an experience in terms of 2 aspects. First of all, I waited for 2 hours to see a doctor (a friend's friend; typical Balkan's way to get things through) and spent 1 minute with the doctor. He did not ask any question about my medical history, did not check my lung by a stethoscope, or no measurement of blood pressure or pulse, whatsoever, I would say there was no examination and consultation at all. Only he checked my bronchus by a scope. How does he know my bronchus is the problem without asking any question to me? And how can I be sure the medicine he subscribed is the right one while he did not perform whole examination and did not explain anything to me about what the disease is and where it came from? .... And second of all, I was quite surprised that how a patient does not have a privacy in the consultation room. I was surrounded by many people like interns, nurses and other patients (!) waiting on the queue in the same room, watching me being my tongue grabbed by the doctor to see my bronchus by the scope, and the picture of my bronchus. It was quite embarrassing to show off my tongue and bronchus in front of many people, I would say.
So, I learned that from the experience there is no such a thing called Healthcare "Service" at the public hospital in this country. Workers at hospitals are supposed to be "service providers" in the world I had known. Especially for the girl who does not mind to pay $600 per night for a hotel with excellent services, “service” is very important item to purchase. No wonder Macedonia needs the Health Sector Reform, which has been promoted by WB and is still on-going bit by bit. Well, I did not want to learn it by actually experiencing it, though.
By the way, the photo is the PRIVATE hospital that I went to next day after having enough experience at the public hospital. Currently, only 2 or 3 private hospitals exist in Macedonia and this Neuromedika is recommended by the donor community as the most equipped hospital in Macedonia. Well, I should have done that from the very first time. The doctor at the private hospital was very attentive and a good listener, he did all the necessary examination to decide which medicine I should take. I received the quality “service” from them. Satisfactory, in the end.

マケドニアでは病気にならない方がいいよ、医療サービスの質が悪いから、とよく言われていたのですがマケドニア人にも、病気というものはならないようにしてならなくてすむものではなく、先週とうとう噂のマケドニアの医療サービスを受ける羽目になりました。
いやあ、咳が止まらなくて苦しかったんですよ。一週間以上。それで、肺炎かなんかじゃないことだけ明確にしたくって、友人の友人の医者を頼ってスコピエ病院なるものに行って来ました。スコピエ病院は国立病院で、一応、マケドニアの最高峰医療機関ということになってます。日本もこの病院に医療機材を数々提供しています。そして、噂の医療サービスは、、、、、いやあ、、、、「サービス」なんてもんじゃなかったですよ。二時間も待たされた上に、医者の診察は1分。いままでの薬歴とか持病とかまったく聞かないし、聴診器もあてないし、脈も測らなければ血圧も測らない。気管支を気管支鏡で診て終わり。そんなんで、どこが悪いとかなんてわかるんですかあ?って感じでした。気管支が悪いって、決めうちじゃん、そんなの。どこが悪くてなんで悪くなったのかとかの説明もまったくないし。そんな医者信用できない。しかももっとびっくりしたのは、診察室での患者のプライバシーのなさ。診察室といってもひろーい部屋に他の患者が待っている中、インターンとか看護婦とかうじゃうじゃいる前で、医者の診察を受けるのです。なので、その患者がどんな病気で苦しんでいるのか他の人にまる聞こえ。気管支鏡の診察を受けるのに舌を医者につかまれてチューブをのどに突っ込まれている私の姿をみーんなが見ているし。相当ショッキングな経験でした。
そして写真は、次の日に気を取り直して行き直した、マケドニアで一番医療施設が整っているというドナー間の評判の民間の病院。いやあ、始めからそうすりゃよかった。すばらしかったですよ、Neuromedikaのドクター。ちゃんと先進国で受けられるような医療サービスが受けられました。やっぱ医者は「サービス業」ですから。でもそういう概念、まだマケドニアにはありませんから。民間の病院はマケドニアにはまだ2-3件しかないのです。だからこそ、いま推進中の「保健セクター改革」、大事ですねえ。さっさともっとごりごり推進すべきだと思いました。こんな、身を持ってマケドニアの保健セクターの問題点を体験することになろうとは。というか、そんなこと身を持って体験したくなかったですけどね。

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

貴重な体験でした。だけど、咳の原因は何でしょうか。/暁

Anonymous said...

私の周りでも正体不明の咳に悩まされている人が多いです。
特にうちのかみさんは39度近く熱を出してしばらく寝込んでました。
なぜか私はそこまでにはなっていません。
上司のOさんがお医者さんに聞いたところでは喘息が流行ってると言われたそうです。
マケドニアでもそんな感じなら、世界的に空気が汚れてるということなのでは!と思えちゃいます。
そう言えば少し前に数年振りに黄砂が日本へ飛んできたというニュースをやってたな・・・
うがいをしましょう!

Anonymous said...

今日は 日本ではGWもおわり あーあまたふつうの毎日にもどりました。
さて、でも結構良い病院があってよかったですね。しかし、その原因とその後体調はいかがでしょうか?
決して先進国ではないので、どんなに小さい病気でも心配です。よくなったのかおしらせください!
マスクおくりましょうか? 
今@東京

Anonymous said...

あ、おかげさまで咳はよくなりました。
マスクは手持ちがあるのですが、外でする勇気がなく、まだ家の中で一度しか使ってません。。。。マスクしている人、こっちで見たことないんですよ。。。

Anonymous said...

It's even more fun with small children. Try waiting for an hour with a sick baby. He doesn't understand anything, he just cries and cries because it hurts...

Although, to be honest, our experience in Romania was not horrible. Just a long wait and a hospital that was not very clean and modern. It could have been much worse.

Still, with kids you really want fast service that is high quality. Even more than for yourself...

BTW, you can reach me at the vormuir address. Same old, I think.


Douglas

Anonymous said...

ああ、国立病院、やっぱりダメでしたか・・・。こういうところが、まだまだ社会主義マインドから抜けきれないでいるんですね。もう、保健セクター改革最優先ですよ。
というか、サービス業全般を大改革しないとまずいのカモ?
なにはともあれ、お大事に!